Plans and Policies
- Terrace Heights Neighborhood Plan (PDF): This applies to the portion of the Yakima UGA east of the Yakima River. Originally adopted jointly by the Yakima City Council and the Board of County Commissioners in 1999 and subsequently amended.
- West Valley Neighborhood Plan (PDF): The goals and policies established in Yakima Urban Area Comprehensive Plan 2025 apply to the entire Yakima Urban Growth Area, including the West Valley Neighborhood Planning Area. In addition, Plan 2015 is a regional plan that establishes the county’s perspective on urban policy and the transitioning of land from rural and resource uses to urban uses. The West Valley Neighborhood Plan endeavors to apply the goals and policies of both plans to provide policy direction for the future development of the Planning Area.
- Yakima County Comprehensive Plan Plan 2015 (PDF): This applies to all unincorporated Yakima County jurisdiction. This plan was originally adopted in 1997 by the Board of County Commissioners. It was last updated through the GMA update requirement on December 18, 2007. This document is reviewed and updated as needed, but no more often than once a year.
- Yakima Urban Area Comprehensive Plan (PDF): This applies to the entire Yakima Urban Growth Area. Originally adopted jointly by the Yakima City Council and the Board of County Commissioners in 2006 and subsequently amended. Two subarea plans provide supplemental planning for 2 portions of the Yakima UGA.
- Urban Growth Area Guidebook (PDF): This guidebook describes reviewing, updating and implementing the urban growth areas including population forecasts and conducting a fiscal analysis for urban services.
- Long Range Planning in Washington State: A guide to understanding comprehensive land use planning involving citizens, communities, counties, cities, and the private sector that would prevent uncoordinated and unplanned growth.
Horizon 2040 Comprehensive Plan Update project documents are posted under the Horizon 2040 Process and Documents page.
Yakima County Trails Plan
- Yakima County Trails Plan (PDF) - This Trails Plan focuses on trail routes in unincorporated areas of Yakima County, Washington, but it also references community links in incorporated area that are a high priority for intercommunity mobility. The plan looks at current activities, trends, opportunities and constraints for the expansion of the trails system in the county.
- Yakima County-Wide Planning Policy: This is a policy framework that guides and coordinates the development of the comprehensive plans of Yakima County and all cities and towns within the county. Originally adopted jointly by the Board of County Commissioners and all the cities and towns within the county in 1993, and amended in 2003.
- Interlocal Agreement (ILA) between the Yakima County and 14 cities and towns within the county. This provides a management structure for growth and development occurring in the unincorporated portions of the UGAs of all cities and towns within the county.