- Map of the Program Area
- Project Background
- Nitrate Treatment Pilot Program (Archive)
Attention Lower Valley Growers! Free Deep Soil Sampling Available
Click here or call 509-829-9025 for details
Upcoming Groundwater Advisory Committee Meetings:
- February 19, 2015 5:00 PM
Location: To Be Determined
Most of these Documents are in PDF format. If you don't already have a PDF reader, we recommend:
- Sell, R., Knutson, L., 2002, Quality of Ground Water in Private Wells in the Lower
Yakima Valley, 2001-02, Valley Institute for Research and Education (VIRE).
- USEPA. 2010. Summary of EPA Sampling Activities, June 2010.
- USEPA. Lower Yakima Valley Groundwater.
- US Geological Survey. 2008, Distribution of Elevated Nitrate concentrations in Ground
Water in Washington State, Fact Sheet 2008-3063.
- Vaccaro, J.J., Jones, M.A., Ely, D.M., Keys, M.E., Olsen, T.D., Welch, W.B., and Cox,
S.E., 2009, Hydrogeologic framework of the Yakima River basin aquifer system,
Washington: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2009–5152, 106
- Vaccaro, J.J., and Olsen, T.D., 2007, Estimates of ground-water recharge to the Yakima
River Basin aquifer system, Washington, for predevelopment and current land-use and
land-cover conditions: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2007-
5007, 30 p. Hydrographs Showing Ground-Water Level Trends for Selected Wells in the Yakima River Basin Aquifer System, Washington.htm
- Washington State Department of Ecology, February 2010, Lower Yakima Groundwater
Quality – Preliminary Assessment and Recommendations Document, Ecology
Publication No. 10-10-00
- Washington State Department of Ecology, February 2010, Lower Yakima Valley Groundwater Quality-Preliminary Assessment (Ecology, et al)
- Ray, R., and Repasky, T.R., 1995, A Multi-Disciplinary Study of Groundwater in Toppenish Creek Basin, Yakama Indian Reservation: The 1st Symposium on the Hydrology of Washington State, Abstracts, August 28-30, 1995 Olympia, Washington, p. 136-137.
- Columbia Basin Groundwater Management Area, 2001, GWMA Plan, pp 6-1 thru 6-11; 7-1 thru 7-6; 9-1 thru 9-9; 10-1 thru 10-10
- Cook, K., Faulconer, L., and Jennings, D., 1996, A Report on Nitrate Contamination of Ground Water in the mid-Columbia Basin, Washington Department of Ecology Report 96-14 Lower Yakima Valley Groundwater.htm
- Erickson, Denis, 1992, Groundwater Quality Assessment Hornby Dairy Lagoon Sunnyside, Washington, Washington Department of Ecology Report 92-e23, pp 2-6 92e23.pdf
- Erickson, D. and Norton, D., 1990, Washington State Agricultural Chemicals Pilot Study, Final Report, Washington Department of Ecology Report 90-46, pp. Appendix A
- Fuhrer, G.J., McKenzie, S.W., Rinella, J. F., Sanzolone, R. F., and Skach, K.A., 1994, Surface-water-quality assessment of the Yakima River Basin in Washington--Analysis of major and minor elements in fine-grained streambed sediment, 1987, with a section on Geology, by Marshall W. Gannett.: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 93-30, 226 p.
- Green, Christopher T., Fisher, and Lawrence H., Bekins, Barbara A., 2008, Nitrogen Fluxes through Unsaturated Zones in Five Agricultural Settings across the United States, Journal of Environmental Quality: Vol 37, pp. 1073-1085
- Jones, M. A.; Vaccaro, J. J.; Watkins, A. M, 2006, Hydrogeologic Framework of Sedimentary Deposits in Six Structural Basins, Yakima River basin, Washington, USGS Scientific Research Investigation 2006-5116
- Keys, M.E., J.J. Vaccaro, M.A. Jones, and R.J. Julich, 2008, Hydrographs Showing Ground-Water Level Trends for Selected Wells in the Yakima River Basin Aquifer System, Washington, US Geological Survey Data Series 343 Hydrographs Showing Ground-Water Level Trends for Selected Wells in the Yakima River Basin Aquifer System, Washington.htm
- Payne, Karen l., Johnson, Henry M., Black, Robert W., 2007, Environmental Setting of the Granger Drain and DR2 Basins, Washington, 2003-04, US Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2007-5102, pp. 22-25
- Roy F. Spalding, Darrell G. Watts, James S. Schepers, Mark E. Burbach, Mary E. Exner, Robert J. Poreda, and Glen E. Martin, 2001, Controlling Nitrate Leaching in Irrigated Agriculture, Journal of Environmental Quality, VOL. 30, July-Aug 2001 Lower Yakima Valley Groundwater Quality Page 32
- Sumioka, S.S., 1998, A Survey of Ground-Water Quality in the Toppenish Creek Basin, Yakama Indian Reservation, Washington 1989-91, USGS Water Resources Investigations Report 97-4194, pp. 10-14 Survey of Groundwater Quality in the Toppenish Creek Basin, Yakama Indian Reservation, WA 1989-91.pdf
- Tri-County Water Resource Agency, 2003, Watershed Plan-Chapter 6, Management of Groundwater Quality, pp. 6-1 thru 6-21
- US Geological Survey, 2007, Methods Used to Estimate Groundwater Recharge, USGS Scientific Investigation Report 2007-5007, pp 4-6 Estimates of Ground-Water Recharge to the Yakima River Basin Aquifer System, Washington, for Redevelopment and Current Land-Use and Land-Cover Conditions.htm
- VanDerslice, Jim, 2007, Dose-Response of Ntirates and other Methomoglobin Inducers on Methomoglobin Levels in Infants Washington Department of Health, Final Report, EPA Grant # R829781 VanDerslice, Jim, 2007, Dose-Response of Nitrates and other Methomoglobin Inducers on Methomoglobin Levels in Infants Washington Department of Health, Final Report, EPA Grant # R829781.htm
- Washington Department of Health, 2007, Coliform Bacteria and Drinking Water, WDOH Publication # 331-181
- Washington Department of Health, 2007, Nitrate in Drinking Water, WDOH Publication # 331-214
- Lower Yakima Basin Nitrate Treatment Pilot Program – Final Report – June 2011
- Agricultural History of Yakima County