Most Frequently Asked Questions

Property Taxes & Assessments.
  1. When are property tax bills sent to taxpayers?

    They are mailed annually, generally within the month of February; however, tax bills may be sent later than February if there has been a delay in the County Treasurer receiving the tax rolls from the County Assessor.

  2. When are property taxes due and payable?

    No treasurer shall accept tax payments or issue receipts for the same until the treasurer has completed the tax roll for the current year's collection and provided notification of the completion of the roll. Notification may be accomplished electronically, by posting a notice in the office, or through other written communication as determined by the treasurer. Under state law, they are considered payable at that time but may be paid in one-half installments with first-half due no later than April 30 and second-half due no later than October 31 if the tax is $50 or greater--any tax or assessment under $50 is due in full. Further information is available on our web page site under Tax Payment Information.

  3. If I have delinquent taxes, when will the County begin foreclosure?

    Real property foreclosure occurs when taxes become three full years delinquent. Personal property taxes follow different rules. If those taxes are delinquent, they are in immediate distraint (foreclosure); so these taxes cannot be outstanding as of May 1 and November 1. Mobile homes with taxes below $50 go into distraint action on May 1 if no payment has been received by April 30.

  4. What do I need to do if the "situs or location address" is stated incorrectly on my tax bill?

    You may contact the Department of Property Assessment to request a correction to this location address. We obtain that address from their records as a courtesy to our taxpayers who have requested this information.

  5. How do I make a taxpayer name or address change?

    You may do this via our web site at Name & Address Changes for Taxpayer Records or you may send a letter to our Office to request a name and/or address change. Please be sure to include your parcel number(s) on all correspondence. To make an owner name or address change, please contact the County Assessor who maintains ownership records.

Real or Personal Property Transfers.
  1. I want to sell my mobile home. What am I required to do?

    If you are going to move the mobile home or it is a condition of the sale that the mobile home moves, you must obtain a moving decal from our office. You will be required to pay the full yearís property taxes at that point, which will be certified on the documents you obtain with the moving decal. From the County Treasurerís Office, you will go to the Licensing Division of the County Auditorís Office to change the ownership on the title and pay sales tax.
    If the mobile home is moving out of Yakima County to another Washington State county or if the mobile home is going into a dealerís inventory, the next yearís taxes will be collected in advance.
    If the mobile home is not moving as a result of the sale, you will be required to complete a Mobile Home Excise Tax Affidavit to document the sale and pay excise tax on the sale price. The full yearís taxes must be paid and is documented on the Excise Tax Affidavit by our Office. You will then go to the Licensing Division of the County Auditorís office to change the ownership on the title.

  2. I want to sell my real or personal property. Are there special requirements?

    For all such transfers of property, a Real Estate Excise Tax or a Mobile Home Excise Tax Affidavit is required to be completed and filed with the County Treasurer; as well, the documents must be recorded with the Recording and/or Licensing Division of the County Auditorís Office.
    Payment of real estate excise tax must be made at the time the REET is filed with the County Treasurer--1.53% of the sale price except within the city limits of Zillah, Mabton, Yakima and Sunnyside whose rate is 1.78% of the sale price.
    If there are advance taxes due in the case of personal property and mobile homes, it must be paid at this time also.

  3. How long do I have to process my property transfer and pay excise tax?

    Thirty (30) days from the date of sale to avoid interest and penalty on the excise taxes due.

  4. I am gifting my property. Is there anything else I need to do?

    There is a Real Estate Supplemental form that must be signed by both parties, and it must accompany the completion of a Real Estate Excise Tax Affidavit. Those documents are filed with the County Treasurerís Office and are subject to a $10.00 fee if there are no taxes due.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *
Return to Treasurer's Homepage.