Yakima County WA Homepage
I need a franchise, and what is it?
Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 36.55.010 to 36.55.080 (in concurrence with WAC 136-40-030 and Yakima County Resolution #172-1993) states "...[the] board of County commissioners may grant franchises to persons or private or municipal corporations to use the right-of-way of County roads in their respective counties for the construction and maintenance of waterworks, gas pipes, telephone, telegraph, and electric light lines, sewers and any other such facilities."

Accordingly, an applicant may submit a Request for Franchise to place a public/private utility or "other such facility" within Yakima County Right-of-Way.

This process, requiring a public hearing preceded by two public newspaper notices, can take up to 4-5 weeks to approve. Work can not begin until the Franchise Application has been approved by the Board of Commissioners.

A Right-of-Way Use Permit or must be completed to approve actual construction work on the applicant’s project. A standard franchise grant can remain in effect up to 25 years (depending on the utility).Forms and Applications

Show All Answers

1. I want speed bumps, speed humps, or speed tables on my road.
2. I would like compression brakes (commonly referred to as a "Jacobs brake" or a "Jake brake") to be prohibited on a County road. How do I do that?
3. I want my road to be striped. It is paved, but there is no paint line. What can I do?
4. Can I get a second driveway to my property?
5. Can I plant trees in front of my house?
6. How can I get information on subdivision X?
7. How do I build my road approach?
8. How do I get an address for my property?
9. How do I name my road?
10. I have a property that I would like to access to a County road. What do I do?
11. I lost my address plate. Where do I get a new one?
12. I need a franchise, and what is it?
13. I want to get access from my property to a state highway / city street, how do I do that?
14. I would like to get a petition for a speed limit or stop sign, how do I do that?
15. Is this where I get an event permit that involves a County Road (bicycle race, run, etc.)?
16. I need to move an overweight and/or oversized vehicle, house, manufactured home, or large shed on County roads. Do I need a permit?
17. I'd like to get traffic counts for my road, how do I do that?
18. My neighbor and I are having a dispute about my access easement. Can you help me?
19. My neighbor is blocking an easement, what do I do?
20. My project requires me to work within County right-of-way. What do I need to do?
21. What are the County's development standards?
22. What do I do if I find traffic control, a signal, or other roadside devices inoperable?
Government Websites by CivicPlus®
Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow