Answers to voting questions

Address Changes in Yakima County
​If you are already registered to vote in Yakima County but you need to update your mailing address, contact the Yakima Auditors Office at: P.O. Box 12570 Yakima, WA 98909. 509.574.1340 or 800.833.0569 (calls can be made from the units).

If an inmate is from another county he/she can use the electronic kiosk to submit a kite requesting the address of the County Auditor’s Office from his/her county of residence. The inmate can then write to that county and request a ballot or required voters’ registration forms.

Restoring Your Voting Rights
​If you were convicted of a felony in Washington, your right to vote is automatically restored as long as you are not under the authority of the Department of Corrections (in prison or on community custody).

​ If you were convicted of a felony in another state or in federal court, your right to vote is restored as long as you are not currently incarcerated for that felony. Please call 800-430-9674 if you have questions about your status with DOC.

​ Once your right to vote is restored, you must re-register in order to receive a ballot. You can register by mail or at the County Auditor's office. You do not lose the right to vote for a misdemeanor or juvenile conviction.

​ ** If you willfully fail to make 3 payments (to the courts) in a 12 month period, the prosecutor can request the court to revoke your voting rights.

Non-Traditional Residential Address & Homeless Voters
​If you don't have a traditional home address, you can still register to vote. You may use the location of the shelter, motor home, park or other identifiable location you consider to be your home as your voting residence address.

​ You must also provide a mailing address. A mailing address is important to make sure that you receive your ballots on time. You can use a post office box, the address of a friend or relative, shelter, or general delivery at a local post office.

​ **If any inmate has a disability and cannot fill out paperwork or does not understand the process a correctional staff can assist them.