Building Inspection Program
Inspection Request Line - 509-574-2370Please call between 8:00am and 4:00pm.
Requests for an inspection shall be made at least one working day before such inspection is desired, however can be scheduled several days in advance. (A specific time of inspection cannot be scheduled due to the inspectors workload).
Before calling, please have the following information available.
* Permit Number(s)
* Address of the jobsite.
* Contact persons phone number
* Type of work to be inspected, (there may be more than one type of inspection for example: footings/foundation, framing, shear nailing, rough plumbing, mechanical, insulation, final inspection, etc.)
The Building Inspection program provides inspection services for building construction to ensure compliance with the approved plans, and Local and State Building Code laws.
- Inspection services are provided for Residential, Commercial, Industrial, Agricultural buildings, for new construction as well as additions, alterations, remodels, repairs, and changes of use.
- Manufactured Homes are also inspected to ensure they are placed according to the Manufacturer's Installation Specifications or N.F.P.A. standards.
- Field inspections of buildings are conducted to ensure a safe, accessible and energy efficient environment throughout our county. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
All construction or work for which a permit is required shall be subject to inspection by the building official and all such construction or work shall remain accessible and exposed for inspection purposes until approved by the building official. Neither the building official nor Yakima County shall be liable for any expense entailed in the removal or replacement of any material required to allow inspection.
- Approval as a result of an inspection shall not be construed to be an approval of a violation of the provisions of the building code or of other ordinances of Yakima County. Inspections presuming to give authority to violate or cancel the provisions of the building code or of other ordinances of Yakima County shall not be valid.
Work requiring a permit shall not be commenced until the permit holder or agent of the permit holder shall have posted or otherwise made available an inspection record card such as to allow the building official to conveniently make the required inspections of the work. This card shall be maintained by the permit holder until final approval has been granted by the building official.
It shall be the duty of the person doing the work authorized by a permit to notify the building official that such work is ready for inspection. All requests for inspection shall be made at least one working day before such inspection is desired. Such request may be in writing or by telephone. (509-574-2370)
It shall be the duty of the person requesting any inspections required by the building code to provide access and means for inspection of such work. Work shall not be done beyond the point indicated in each successive inspection without first obtaining the approval of the building official.
The building official, upon notification, shall make the requested inspections and shall either indicate that portion of the construction is satisfactory as completed, or shall notify the permit holder or an agent of the permit holder wherein the same fails to comply with the building code. Any portions that do not comply shall be corrected and such portion shall not be covered or concealed until authorized by the building official.
*INSPECTION TIMEFRAME AND EXPIRATION OF PERMIT:
1. The first inspection shall be requested and inspected within 180 days from the date of permit issuance.
2. The permit shall remain valid for an additional 180 days after each subsequent inspection until approval of a final inspection.
3. There shall be a final inspection and approval of all buildings and structures when completed and ready for occupancy and use.
4. Whereas if no inspection has been requested nor commenced within 180 days from date of the prior inspection, and no request for an extension has been received nor approved, the permit shall become expired.
@(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Certified Inspectors complete thousands of inspections each year ensuring structural integrity, fire safety, sanitation, disabled access and energy efficiency of new and existing buildings.
Our Building Inspectors are Dave Miller, Misael Acevedo, and Mike Farmer.
Our Code Enforcement Officers John Walkenhauer, and Janna Jackson are also certified building inspectors.