- Law & Justice
- Yakima County Courts
- Family Court
- Guardian ad Litem
Guardian ad Litem
A Guardian ad Litem is a person who is appointed by the court to represent the best interests of a child involved in a case in Superior Court, pursuant to an order of the court. A Guardian ad Litem performs an investigation and prepares a report for the court of the Guardian ad Litem's findings and recommendations.
To become a Guardian ad Litem, an individual must complete an approved training program, provide background information to the court in which the Guardian ad Litem wishes to serve, and meet all eligibility requirements set by local court rules or policies.
The Yakima County Superior Court Facilitator maintains Guardian ad Litem registries under (Title 26 representing children in divorces, modifications, paternity, and relocation), and Title 11 (minor guardianship).
For the representation of children in the foster care system, please see CASA Program on the Juvenile Court website.
A Guardian ad Litem does not act as a lawyer or therapist, in the case, and therefore does not provide legal advice, counseling, or diagnosis.
Private Pay Registry
Parties pay the Guardian ad Litem the rate which the Guardian ad Litem established under the "private pay" registry. (Verify current hourly rates and retainers with individual Guardian ad Litem's).
- Training Opportunities
- Revised Code of Washington (RCWs) Please view RCW 11.88 , and RCW 11.92 for more information.
- Washington State Superior Court Guardian Ad Litem Rules
- Yakima County Superior Court Local Rules
- Yakima County GAL Registry Code of Conduct
- Yakima County Guardian ad Litem Qualifications
- Yakima County Guardian ad Litem Payment
RCW 11.130.280 GAL- Court Visitor Registry Application 7.21.21
- Please complete the application and provide the necessary documentation. Once completed, please send to the Court Facilitator.
- Minor Guardianship Information
- Emergency Minor Guardianship Information
- Minor Guardianship Information for Parents
- Printable GAL Complaint Form
- Electronic GAL Complaint Form
- Qualified Mediator List (PDF)
*** Click here to enlarge the PDF.
Click here for the Court Appointed Attorney/Court Visitor Registry for Minor Guardianships, and to view the Title 26 Registry.