Adult Guardianship/Conservatorship (For Incapacitated Adults)

An incapacitated adult is someone who is incapable of making decisions and/or caring for themselves for a variety of reasons. The Yakima County Superior Court can appoint guardians/conservators for people who lack the capacity to make or communicate decisions because of mental or physical disability. While the goal of guardianship/conservatorship is to protect, people lose many important rights, including the right to vote, the right to drive, the right to decide where they will live, and the right to decide how their money will be used. Yakima County's Superior Court Judicial Officers are committed to keeping Yakima County's vulnerable individuals safe from abuse and exploitation.

Certified Professional Guardian (CPG).  A CPG is an individual or agency that serves as the legal guardian of at least three individuals and provides this service as a profession.  

For help finding a certified professional guardian/conservator, visit the Administrative Office of the Courts portal.

Click here for the Court Appointed Attorney/Court Visitor Registry for Adult Guardianships.

Contact Us

  1. Superior Court

    Email Us

    128 N 2nd Street

    Room 314

    Yakima, WA 98901

    Phone: 509-574-2710

    Staff Directory


What happens to the prior laws?

The laws that apply to adult guardianships prior to 2022, RCW 11.88 and RCW 11.92, has been repealed and are no longer in effect as of January 1, 2022. There may be limited circumstances when a court may find that the new law would substantially interfere with a guardianship proceeding or prejudice (influence in a negative way) the rights of a party. The court may consider the prior law in that event.

Are all existing guardianships still in effect under the new law?

Yes. The new law applies to all guardianships as of January 1, 2022, no matter when the current guardianship case was originally entered.

Terminology Changes

Old Law 
àNew Law -Effective 1/1/2022
Guardian of the Person à(no change) Guardian of the Person
Guardian of the Estate àConservator
Letters of Guardianship  àLetters of Office
Guardian Ad Litem    àCourt Visitor

What does this mean for You?

  • The new adult guardianship/conservatorship and other protective arrangements law became effective on January 1, 2022.  
  • The 2022 annual reports will be on new forms.  These forms must contain all information required by law.
  • COVID Policies remain with a few changes.  
  • New forms are available.

To read the general information sheet produced by the Administrative Office of the Courts and for more information, please click here.

  1. 'How To' instructions
  2. General Information
  3. Frequently Asked questions

These “How To Instructions” are designed to assist an unrepresented guardian/conservator with standard issues in guardianships/conservatorships.  If the guardian/conservator has an attorney of record (filed a Notice of Appearance) only he/she can represent the guardian/conservator and must present all documents.  

Additionally, all questions, should be directed to the guardian’s/conservator's attorney.  If the guardian/conservator no longer wants the attorney, a Notice of Withdrawal is required to be filed by the guardian’s/conservator's attorney.  As an unrepresented guardian/conservator you may want to know "how to" respond to a request from the court or need to set a hearing or petition for instructions, these instructions will set forth the process and let you know the expectations of the court.  

This is NOT a substitute for legal advice.  Yakima County Court staff cannot give legal advice.

Guardianship/Conservatorship Forms

For access to State of Washington approved forms visit their website here. To access the correct forms, click on the directory heading of “Guardianships, Conservatorships, or Other Protective Arrangements”

Find Guardianship/Conservatorship Law Firms