Any minor who is 16 years of age or older and who is a resident of this state may petition in the superior court for a declaration of emancipation.
The initial paperwork / case is filed at the Clerk's Office in the County Courthouse, but the Court Hearings are held at:
Juvenile Justice Center
1728 Jerome Avenue
Yakima, WA 98902


It is your responsibility to check the RCWs and General Rules (GRs) to ensure proper legal procedures.


The Clerk's staff cannot assist you or give legal advice. It is advisable you contact an attorney to assist you.

Your finished forms must be completed neatly. You may type them, or print them using black ink. Only documents with original, inked signatures can be filed in the Clerk's Office or provided for a Judge's signature. Remember if we can't read it, neither can anyone else. This may cause you frustration after your case is completed and you need to refer back to your documents.

A certified copy of the petitioner's birth certificate must be attached to the Petition for Emancipation and will be kept as part of the Court record.

Prior to Your Hearing

Once your matter is filed, Local Court Rule (LCR7) requires your motions and other papers to be filed with the Clerk at least 5 days prior to the day you (the moving party) desire the matter to be heard in court. This is to assist with getting your pleadings processed, forwarded to the Court file and to the Judge for review prior to your hearing.

Hearings will be held at the Juvenile Justice Center, 1728 Jerome Avenue, Yakima WA.

Please review the requirements prior to filing your matter.