State v. Blake Information

WA State Supreme Court

What is State v. Blake?

State v. Blake is a 2021 Washington State Supreme Court decision that ruled the felony drug possession law unconstitutional. If you were convicted of simple possession of a controlled substance under RCW 69.50.4013 or RCW 69.50.401 you may be eligible to have your conviction vacated and be issued a refund of any legal financial obligations paid towards these cases only.

Do I need to do anything to vacate my drug possession conviction?

No, Yakima County District Court is currently working on vacating applicable drug possession convictions. District Court will be working on cases for the Yakima County, Union Gap, Grandview, Tieton, Moxee, and Mabton jurisdictions. The Blake decision impacts thousands of cases in Yakima County, so we appreciate your patience as we process each case. 

You may call the District Court if you have any questions about your case at 509-574-1824 or email

What happens after my conviction is vacated?

A copy of the order vacating your conviction will be sent to the Washington State Patrol to update your criminal history record.

How do I request a refund?

Apply for a refund using the Blake Refund Bureau online portal. 

Blake Refund Bureau