Yakima County WA Homepage

Vacate a Record of Conviction

If you have been convicted of a misdemeanor or a gross misdemeanor in Yakima County District Court, Union Gap Municipal Court or Grandview Municipal Court you may be eligible to have that conviction vacated. When you vacate a conviction you are not removing that charge from your criminal history, rather you are removing the conviction only. After a conviction has been vacated, the charge may still appear in any background checks performed on you. 

While there are no court costs associated with vacating a conviction, a court appearance is mandatory. These hearings are held Friday mornings, and are scheduled at least two weeks from the day the appropriate paperwork is filed. Yakima County District Court cannot vacate a conviction from another court.

For additional information about Vacating, Sealing or Expunging your record click here.  You can access the necessary forms by navigating the the forms page.  

Process Overview

Listed below is a brief overview of the process:
  • Complete a “Motion for Order Vacating Conviction.”
  • If you were placed on probation as a result of the conviction you are seeking to vacate, you must also file a certification from District Court Probation Services 509-574-1860 and attach to your motion.
  • Once you have obtained all the appropriate supporting documents and your motion is completed, you must file with Yakima County District Court. 
  • You should bring at least two copies of all your documents.
  • You will be given a hearing date and time, you will complete your Notice of Hearing with that information.
  • You must serve a copy of the Motion with supporting documents and the Notice of Hearing upon the prosecuting authority, at least 14 days before the scheduled hearing. If you were prosecuted in the name of a city or town, you must also serve a copy of the Motion, supporting documents, and Notice of Hearing upon the Prosecutor or City Attorney of that city or town.
  • Appear at scheduled court appearance, Judge will review your Motion and advise you of his decision.

Government Websites by CivicPlus®
Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow